I will admit, right off the bat, the last month of pregnancy is no walk in the park! The first trimester was HARD, and for me it was very very hard. The last month is not like that, it’s different. The last month is an emotional rollercoaster mixed with an achy and uncomfortable body that is growing larger and squishier by the minute. The last month is sitting on edge wondering, “will my water break today, here in this restaurant, for all to see?” The last month is wishing you could just stay at home in case labour happens to start, but going crazy being at home because you are only thinking of the upcoming BIG EVENT! The last month is a big ball of string all wrapped up just waiting for some scissors to come along and cut that single thread that will cause the entire ball to unravel.
So how have I dealt with all of this? I can’t say it has been easy, but I have found some strategies that have helped me deal with all of these big emotions and big life changes. Hopefully they can help you too!
1. Reminding myself that babies have their own timeline and their own agenda. No matter what I wish for, desire or dream of. No matter what old wives tales I use to try and get this baby moving, this little baby is not going to budge until they are good and ready! Reminding myself of this, giving myself over to my baby, allowing them to make the decision, takes it out of my hands and out of my control. It helps me accept that somethings in life are just going to be as they are going to be, no matter what!
2. Acknowledging that baby still needs time. If labour hasn’t started yet than baby is not ready to come! For whatever reason, this little pickle still needs some time to cook, and is probably super duper comfy floating around in that warm little pool, chilling out, listening to the muffled sounds of the world go by. As eager as I am to meet this little person, I love them too much to insist they be yanked out before they are good and ready (unless there are safety concerns, of course!)
3. Hypnobirthing. Hypnobirthing scripts are amazing! You get to lie down or sit back with your eyes closed, relax deeply, and listen to amazing affirmations and stories about your body, your birth and your baby. I mean, how fantastic right!? You come out of your relaxation feeling refreshed, renewed and altogether more accepting of this beautiful miracle that is pregnancy and child birth. If you haven’t looked into hyonobirthing, I highly recommend you do!
4. Reminding myself of all the things I can get done before baby comes! Oh ya, when baby comes I won’t have time to wipe down those cupboard doors, or clean under the kitchen sink, or wash all the windows! I won’t be able to have a nice long soak in a hot tub without interruption! Remembering this helps me take advantage of the time I have now to clean, organize and relax! It helps me realize that maybe it was a good thing baby decided not to turn up today. But tomorrow would be nice 😉
5. Soaking in those baby kicks and growing belly before they are gone. On days where I am feeling really fed up, when I have had false contraction after false contraction, and my body and mind are really just ready to give birth, I try to remind myself that these are the last days where I will hold my baby inside of me, feeling their tiny kicks and turns, rubbing my belly and talking to this little person who I have grown so lovingly all of these months.
So although I have been in the “latent phase” of labour now for over a week, and I am achy, tired and emotional, these techniques do really help! They help bring some calmness to my day, some serenity to my mind, and grant me a bit more patience to continue on. Before you know it, this little bean will be here, in full force. This love that has been growing inside of me will burst forth with fury and my days will be forever changed. Oh I cannot wait for that, I honestly can’t. But I must, and I will. Pregnancy is a marathon of the body and mind, and I am going to win this race!
Do you have any tips or suggestions for making it through that last month of pregnancy!? Let me know in the comments or send me a message ❤ Sending you lots of love for a happy and healthy pregnancy, and beyond!